One thing I don’t enjoy about working from home is that I can feel isolated and forced to stare at the same four walls all day, I find this distracting and it also doesn’t help me to generate good ideas or repeat business.
I wouldn’t necessarily describe myself as lonely but my job still requires connecting with different people all of the time. When working from home gets too much for me I utilise a local hot desk service in town, sure I have to pay to rent the desk but it is in a very different environment from working at home, everyone needs a break – don’t they?
While “hot-desking” is a big change of scenery for me when I get fed up at home, I have found it has drawbacks:-
• A hot-desk is not the place to take your client if you want an in depth private conversation
• It is nice to connect with other local business people but when you have a tight deadline to meet people hovering over you and asking you questions is distracting
• I am used to the flexibility to work as and when I want to but if I utilise my local hot-desk service it is only open 9-5 on Monday-Fridays
Some of the benefits I receive from utilising my local hot desk service – (apart from supporting a local business) are:-
• A speedy internet connection and Tea/Coffee made especially for me!
• I can ask other business people for their expertise
• A meeting room I can utilise if needed
• Professional printing facilities
Another great thing about working away from home is that It gives me the opportunity to network with other local businesses, really spreading the word about my own business.
By getting feedback and opinions on the services I offer, can help me to improve and build on my own business. If I get to a dead end in my work, would like some help or just need a chat to break up the day, I can enjoy the company and inspiration of my new found co-workers!